PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2018, 16:44
dinbangkok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by India Four Two
I'm also disturbed that this document is in the public domain, but having lived and worked in Jakarta, I am not in the least bit surprised.
Likewise. I live in Jakarta and by 11am local time a member of a wholly unrelated Indonesian whatsapp group I’m in had forwarded unsolicited photos of the full passenger manifest. 3 hours later I received an unverified video purporting to have been filmed from inside the doomed flight by one of the passengers and sent to family just prior to the crash. Cultural values around accidents and death are VERY different in Asia compared to the West. To put this in perspective many years ago I attended the funeral of someone who’d been killed in a crash. Lo and behold the patents produced photos of the accident. Likewise at the funeral of someone who died in the fire at a disco in Bangkok everyone was encouraged to see pay respects to whar little remained of her body. Attitudes to privacy are wholly different which might help explain to many Westerners reading this why so much of what we consider should remain reapectfully private, is actually shared:with whar appears like glee. Just humans trying to comprehend tragedy in very different ways.