PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO Shortage UK
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2018, 14:44
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985
SRG has been neutered due to lack of staff/money as well. NATS if they can prove a safety case, which they will, will convince them that's it ok and they don't need to look at it themselves. I personally think that's it alot down to the numbers of ex military ATCOs in SRG/CAA that, with the greatest respect to them, don't understand civil atc. Their way of thinking/working is different (btw I'll also throw that at a lot of senior management in NATS).

I think individual controllers are kicking up a stink, along with the union but if a safety case is proven and the regulator signs off on it, how does the individual atco justify not doing it? Very wooly area the "I don't like it" argument.
I can’t find anything to disagree with you there, 1985. It all seems very regrettable & third world ish - the sort of thing that you might experience in Zimbabwe, Indonesia or Mauritania etc. Where has professionalism & standards gone ? It would not even have been thought about in my day - glad I’m retired; but there again, I am still a regular passenger ! Or, maybe not any longer.