PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian aircraft missing off Jakarta
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2018, 08:28
EIFFS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so the C of G is very different

Originally Posted by fox niner
You can not load 189 passengers wrongly on a 737. It is the maximum capacity, so that weight distribution is always within limits. The fuel will also never cause any problems either with a full pax load, because of design.
Leaves the luggage. Knowing that indonesians will carry fairly bulky stuff with them,I dont see how the cargo compartments could not be full. This would imply an evenly distributed load among all 4 compartments.
—> this will not turn out to be a load distribution accident. I go for pitot covers as well.
The CoG is way forward on the MAX due to the much heavier donks mounted further forward, on a NG a normal load config would 66%aft 34% forward, the MAX needs it all in the back. ( on this point FR will have fun and games with their hold two load policy)

I would be surprised if pitot covers fitted for over night.

Conversion course will depend on individual operators and their governing authority, in Norwegian we have a 3 hour CBT and you're good to go, apart from the start sequence which is akin to the count down for a Saturn 5 launch its basically straight forward once you figure out where the switches have gone. The FMC is v different and could cause issues for the VNAV inept “what’s it doing now” brigade, but how do you lose control of a modern jet in daylight VMC that will not be anywhere near its 82’000kg max take off mass....

Having had to un-train and re train ex Lion air pilots from P2F and listen to the very many stories of incompetence from the LHS I would be very surprised if this is anything beyond pilot error in one form or another, be it missing if fitted pitot covers, CoG or unreliable airspeed.

The MAX is now a mature product, we operated some of the first MAX in Europe out of the box and Transatlantic within a couple of weeks from delivery, I’m not surprised the Australian government have issued a no fly for staff & contractors, did they not ground Lion air some years back when ex bmi flight management became the fall guys.