PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Gps Should I Get?
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2003, 00:25
MR TEDDY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.....Dont get a GPS you all ready have a map and a stopwatch this is all you need for VFR navigation.....

Thanks for your comments A & C. I fully appreciate what you are saying.

My reason for considering a GPS is so that I have a back up to my hard won skills. I have no intention of using the GPS as a primary navigational aid, but simply as an added safety feature. For example, I feel that being able to get an indication of an extended runway centre line on an approach to an airfield can only enhance safety. Of course, I will already know the field is going to be there, and I will know in my minds eye where the centre line should be, I see the GPS as simply helping me to be precisely accurate. Similarly, I would like to be able to give very accurate position information to FIS and LARS services. I can already tell them approximately where I am, but I see the possibility of being spot on accurate as a significant improvement over dead reckoning.

Once again, I cannot say strongly enough that after expending much blood, sweat and tears, not to mention piles of cash on honing my navigation skills (watching myself almost busting Luton airspace in the 'Flying School' documentary still makes the hairs on my neck stand up) I have no intention of throwing that all away and simply chancing it with an electronic device that could pack up on me at any moment.

Thanks again for your kind advice.

Regards,
Mr Teddy.