PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down outside Leicester City Football Club
Old 29th Oct 2018, 05:46
malabo

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Experienced pilot experienced with the mission, modern helicopter with all the latest technology. Occam's Razor (that good monk from Surrey) would suggest nothing mechanical "failed". The backup profile is related to PC1 and only addresses an engine failure (statistically insignificant) but nevertheless an airline industry mantra for regulators to focus on. And in itself it isn't harmful if you have bags of power and unless you back into something. A statistician might argue that the extended exposure and resultant velocity in the wrong direction negates any possible benefit of maintaining a reject area in view, but the Jim Lyons of the world have already beat this one to death. Likewise a tail rotor failing in a modern aircraft is statistically not a factor. I don't know the tailwind limitations of a 169, but design criteria is usually 30 knots, and the same pilot was just in and coming back out, so no unknowns there. I've flown out of stadiums, they are large, well-lit, and with good references, my idea of low risk. The AAIB does excellent work and will methodically arrive at a cause in good time - it is unfortunate that they still get so many accidents like this to investigate.