PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Coastal Route / YMML Runway 34 GBAS
Old 29th Oct 2018, 03:40
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
According to an ATSB Publication “Aviation Occurrence Statistics 2007 to 2016” (here: https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/577388...-104_final.pdf ) there were over the period covered by the publication this number of occurrences by type “airspace infringement”:

- 3 accidents and serious incidents in air transport operations

- 158 incidents in air transport operations

- 12 accidents and serious incidents in GA operations

- 386 incidents in GA operations

- 2 accidents and serious incidents in recreational aviation

- 21 incidents in recreational aviation

- 2 incidents involving RPAS.

The mistake I made to become one of those statistics was to look at the EFB VTC chart and assume that the lower level of the C over YSBK was 2,000’, which was the closest depiction of the Class C airspace lower level. If I’d used the ‘mega’ map instead I would not have made the same mistake, as it depicts D 1,500/SFC at the location of YSBK.

Not an excuse. Just an explanation for what happened.

Thankfully, few airspace infringements result in a catastrophe. In my case, YSBK tower queried whether I had clearance to climb into the C above at 1,500’ as I passed through that level. I said ‘no’ and immediately descended to 1,500’. Submitted a report ‘fessing up’.

I realise that you never could make a mistake that resulted in an airspace infringement, Bloggs, but lots of others can and do. It’s in your interests that those of us who are fallible highlight the kinds of circumstances in which mistakes happen. (I thought it was SOP for RAAF pilots to brief their colleagues on mistakes made, why the mistake was made and the consequential risks. Perhaps that enlightened approach was introduced after you pulled the pin?)

Which kinda loops back to the point OA was making about the potential for pilots to overlook the information depicting significant changes to tracking altitudes for aircraft around the standard lanes/tracks Melbourne, if they use just the VTC on an EFB. Not an excuse. But a potential explanation (along with the absence of appropriate education) for a mid air, don’t you think?