PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many hours did it take you to get your first twin ride.
Old 29th Oct 2018, 01:59
MALT68

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts
Twins are fun.

2 years after getting PPL and doing 200 hrs as SEA(P). Already had over 500 hours and 20 years in gliders (so I knew what to do when both donks quit ;-) ). Did conversion in BE76 at Parafield. Had long ground briefing about handling, speeds to fly, engine failures and how to handle them.

Comically, on my first orientation flight in the Duchess, there was a partial engine failure in the circuit (reduced power problem on climbout, we still had performance to complete a modified circuit to an unremarkable landing), so the training was cut short, and it was good to see how to handle engine failure.

I have done endorsement on: PA44 (Seminole, don't you love climbing across the co-pilot's seat), PA30/39 Twin commanche (fast with complicated fuel system), GA7 Gruman Cougar (big bubble cockpit, castor nose wheel), I now fly P68 Partenavia (my favourite to fly, although the passengers get to see your bum in the older models without a co-pilot's door, P68 drivers will know what I mean. It waddles as it taxis).

I certainly feel more comfortable going over tiger country or crossing water in one (yes, I am now waiting for the twins are more dangerous than singles bunfight, please refer to discussions elsewhere, they have been done many times over...).

For those who have ever flown out of YPPF to Murray Bridge would know about crossing tiger country (as a matter of fact, now most general aviation airports in Oz require you to cross tiger country to get anywhere...)

Fly safe and have fun