PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Temperature correction on Baro-VNAV approach
Old 28th Oct 2018, 20:55
Dutchman95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temperature correction on Baro-VNAV approach

Hello everybody,

I know Baro-VNAV approaches have been discussed on PPRuNe before, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to my question. Even after reading the FCOM as well as any relevant reference material available in my company, I'm still not sure what I'm really supposed to do.

Let me give you the following situation:

RNP APCH with VNAV minima
OAT -10 degr.
Note on plate: uncompensated Baro-VNAV not authorised below -20 degr.

"RNP APCH APV procedures are designed with a linear obstacle profile from the FAF to the DA. This obstacle clearance is assured down to the minimum temperature as mentioned in the minima box in the ‘notes’ section. This means that no temperature corrections in the final approach segment are necessary if the OAT is higher than the value mentioned in the note. Note that for temperatures below zero, corrections to MDA and DA should be applied for both types of approaches."

The information sounds quite contradictory to me. Yes, the temperature is below zero ("corrections to DA should be applied"), and yes, the OAT is higher than the value mentioned in the note ("no temperature corrections in the final approach segment (which includes the DA) are necessary"). So, should I correct the DA or not?

Thanks!