PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Coastal Route / YMML Runway 34 GBAS
Old 27th Oct 2018, 04:30
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure what you are referring to here - the ML VTC online from Airservices includes the expanded portion down the bottom of the chart, and always has.]
who still uses paper maps? Most VFR guys I know buy one every 2 years in case they get ramp checked when they fly into the Avalon air show. Then the map gets stuffed in a side pocket in case it’s useful when their memory fails.

The on-line AsA might be useful in the air conditioned ivory towers in which CASA lives, but it’s hardly an inflight reference.

Even as an old school pilot that first learned to fly in 1973, I now fly with 2 x iPads. It’s all you need to be legal and It’s what I would suggest most pilots are doing. Airservices in its wisdom does not supply this as part of the electronic VTC that it makes available to AvPlan & Ozrunways.

Avplan ( and I believe Ozrunways) supply the detail of the Moorabbin enlargement in the VNC and in the “mega WAC” products, but not the VTC. And Their licence agreement with AsA forbids then from modifying it in any way.

As primarily an IFR pilot and as someone trained before the advent of VNC charts, I reach for the VTC for visual navigation around the Melbourne basin - and it does not contain any detail on the cruising altitudes for the VFR route.

If on NOV 9, Others like me who use the VTC on their iPad will have no clue that CASA has changed the direction of flight of the VFR route that they may well have been accustomed to since the mid seventies when the VFR route was introduced.

And CASA has no education / communication plan for the change.

CASA has created the antecedents of a mid air collision.