PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No-frills kangaroo ready to hop
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2003, 22:05
ditzyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apacau -
NJS have just closed down their entire East Coast presence and are only hiring on contract. They have also indicated that they wish to wind down the Airline Ops business and focus on charter and freight.

Why wouldn't Impulse get the new Embraer jets? They have all the infrustructure already in place (crew and bases) at the locations these new jets would fly.
I ask you these questions seriously - not looking to argue. Just can't understand why NJS would close everything down and hire on contracts only just to start everything up and expand again. Why do it when all Impulse would have to do is renew their fleet (for regional ops - not the LCC)?

I believe the LCC will be under the Impulse umbrella somehow but remain a separate operation. Why would QF just say Impulse is the new LCC and swap the 'regional routes' over to NJS and their new wonder jets when they have the chance to start up a separate operation at significantly lower crew costs? I am sure QF could negotiate contracts much less than what the current Impulse crew are on. Just look at JetConnect!

This new LCC will not replace the current 717 regional network anytime soon. You can't fly all Y 737s BNE-ROK or MEL-LST frequently as you can the 717. Also the 717 is still very efficient in terms of aircraft and crew costs on such sectors as above. I agree the 717s will go - just not tomorrow or next year.

Hope the above makes sense. Just curious as to why QF would spend so much money on changing things that aren't broke. The 717 operation makes them heap$.