PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2018, 21:54
AndrewClark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewClark
Folks - I am trying to find out anything about this base, which my (sadly long-deceased) father-in-law served at during 1945-46. I have been able to learn the basics from internet research but can't seem to get much beyond that. He would have been an AC1 or AC2 at the time but his service records don't go into any detail so it's really difficult to understand what he might have been doing there. Any help at all would be very welcome.....
I've just realised that I haven't named the base in question - it was RAF Chaklala in Rawalpindi, which was then in India but is now in Pakistan and is a Pakistani Air Force Base called Nur Khan. I have also now been told by family members that he was awarded three or four medals, including the Burma Star. Although I can't find any evidence of him actually serving in Burma, I understand that some (paratroop?) operations carried out from Chaklala were against the Japanese occupation of Burma, so I'm wondering if this explains why.... Again, I'd be very grateful for any help as I'm trying to compile information for my brother-in-law's birthday in December....