PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belgium selects F-35 over Typhoon
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2018, 13:37
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Begging your indulgence, Orca,

I did google NIFC-CA, and it seems to offer exactly what Typhoon now has with Meteor and the latest Phase Enhancement. Clearly that's something that the Super Hornet has had for some years, while it's new to Typhoon - and it probably needs some wrinkles ironing out. However, using offboard sensors for targeting, and targeting for a wingman's missiles, would seem to have been something Typhoon has been supposed to be able to do for rather longer than it has had Meteor.

I'm still not really clear as to why MIDS on the Super Bug would be so superior to MIDS on Typhoon (are we talking about the difference between LVT and JTRS, or is there more to it than that?), nor as to why APG-79 should necessarily give better tracks at longer range than Captor - especially at the limits of azimuth coverage (where physics tells us that AESA range will drop off markedly), nor why the fused combination of Captor, PIRATE (not something that has been working well until very recently) and DASS, combined with good Mission Data, is so much poorer than Super Hornet's sensor suite?

Parametrics are unnecessary and could be useful to the unfriendly, I am just asking for broad principles, here!