PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737-low N1 during take off roll could mean trouble. .
Old 26th Oct 2018, 07:20
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skipname
In my current outfit, an EASA operator, on the introduction page of the operations manual there is a paragraph that goes something like "as it is impossible to foresee all kinds of emergencies and cover them in this manual, we encourage pilots to use their knowledge, experience and common sense while applying the procedures stated in this manual".
Skipname,
Sound familiar from a Boeing manual, and severely disapproved of by a certain kind of CASA Flying Operations Inspector ---- who even demand the manufacturer's QRH expanded so that it is certainly no longer quick.

Some years ago, Qantas had an A330 horsing all over the sky due to a very obscure (it has not been positively identified to this day) ADC fault, north of Perth.
The reaction of the Captain was to disconnect the AP and "fly the aeroplane". I am certain most of us would have done the same. Dig up the interview with the Captain after he retired, the "official" version does not really get across how the aircraft was behaving.

I was part of a discussion in CASA Canberra, shortly after, where more than one chair-borne FOI, none with A330 (or any large aircraft) experience, was pushing for the Captain to be suspended, pending action against his license, for non-adherence to the SOPs, as, in their view, in their chosen "appropriate QRH procedure" disconnecting the AP came "down the list" after checking circuit breakers and a few other bits and pieces ---- which, given the recorded behavior of the aeroplane, may almost certainly have been physically impossible.

As you may well imagine, my "firmly" expressed views were not, at the time, "acceptable to CASA" in the "official" position taken by these two "CASA operations experts".

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 26th Oct 2018 at 07:20. Reason: typo