PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-cockpit videos
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2018, 21:13
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nurse2Pilot
Note that the idea for now is for two cameras, one with 50/50 instruments view and out-the-front view, with probably more favor given to instruments.
Up to you but I am not sure the focus on instruments is really going to be of much value in the ab-initio phase. I have sometimes resorted to covering instruments with a post-it note when a student noticeably becomes cockpit focussed rather than looking outside and cannot stop themselves looking inside, (this focus can come from people who have done a lot of self taught computer simulated flight prior to starting actual flight training). Looking at attitudes outside is more the priority.

I would like to pose an issue to those that do not or have not encouraged video recording while flying:
Suppose you had to do this but obviously you had your concerns as raised above,
My 2c FWIW

what parameters should be in place, what rules or policies would you ask to be implemented in order for you to do this?
A big one - the video should not be published publically without my consent.

Would you ask that camera mounting points are secured to the cockpit via a screw or bolt?
Whatever - so long as it was secure and didn't interfere with operations or obstruct visibility. There also may be regulatory obligations in different jurisdictions and if my employer's policy was we had to record lessons, these obligations would have to be complied with otherwise as PIC I could be liable to repurcussions.

Would you ask that a policy be introduced whereby an instructor can terminate a flight if the student is flying for the camera and that his head isn't in the game, but that the instructor can still charge for the full hour?
Not sure that is an issue. I am responsible for the student, the lesson and the flight. If I found they kept getting distracted by the camera I would simply switch it off.

What would it need for you to consider this a safe and acceptable condition?
I am not that worried about any safety implications if the camera was properly mounted (except when the student was operating solo - I would be wary of allowing it if the student was ab-initio and solo - dependent on the student maybe).

My main concern is I am not sure it actually would contribute much to the learning environment of an early student. That said I am also not sure it would detract much either, just think it is just won't give that much value . That of course is my opinion and happy to be shown wrong.

Anything that improves a student's progress and contributes to making a better pilot is welcome but from my perspective, generally reducing complication and focussing on basic sight pictures, reducing stress, building control feel and developing judgement are what I like to work on for early students. I am not sure watching videos of the lesson would add that much value here. Like learning to play and perform with a musical instrument - you can enjoy watching and listening but it doesn't really help that much in learning to do it yourself compared to actually doing it!

Despite all of that - talk to your instructor and if they are happy to let you do it, go for it. Why not though do a couple of lessons first and maybe re-consider the camera (and how it could help, where best mounted etc) after you have a better feel for the learning environment?