PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2018, 17:06
Danny42C

Chugalug et al,

Thank you all for your good wishes in your #12413 of 23/10/18 and #12416 and #12417 of 24/10/18 and today's #12421. #12420 ? - not so sure !

Laptop is behaving itself pro tem (fingers crossed), but I'm flat on my back again with yet another lung infection, and having to scoff some horrible antibiotics. Mary administering them as part of her unfailing TLC.

Actually sitting up in bed with laptop on a "Lavolta" frame (a bit wobbly), so can try to keep an eye on proceedings from time to time, and able to put in my two cent's worth when I feel like it.

Re: Barrage balloons; there was an early postwar story (sorry, no refs) about one which broke loose, and drifted slowly Eastward over our green and pleasant land, shorting out power cables and causing general mayhem. Someone rang the Duty Officer at Air Ministry. "Never fear", said this chap, "our brave fighter boys will sort it out in no time !"

But it was Wednesday afternoon, and those not engaged in official Sport were pushing supermarket trollies in town, or otherwise engaged (was there a time when there was no QRA ?) Anyway, they couldn't get an armed fighter into the sky in time, the Balloon carried on its trail of destruction before drifting out into the North Sea, and was never seen again.

Was the story true ? - Dunno. Could it have happened ? What do you think ?

Keep the old Thread going ! Cheers, Danny.