PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 CALLOUTS
Thread: A320 CALLOUTS
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2018, 15:11
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fair enough, no problemo. I did say Airbus as opposed to FCOM SOP on purpose but failed to highlight and explain why, sorry.

Those 10 years ago, when "green" was dropped and "landing" become "continue", it was widely discussed, and my airline then asked for guidance. Later followed by Q&A session during the Airbus Field Visit - OLV I think is what they call it.

The FCOM wording is what it is indeed, and yes: I am saying that it might not be proper. Funny that, on other occasions, I'd fight nails and teeth for every hyphen and semicolon . Prerhaps Vilas could dig up the Flight Operations Conference presentation on the topic.

Maybe we can agree to this?

Some operators would read the ALT(blue) as per the current wording of the FCOM. I could imagine for instance Turkish Airlines after the AMS crash of 6-fold PFD ignorance to be very strict with their protocol (have no idea what THY actually do, just an example why you might seriously want it that way).

Some operators don't, and even claim that once upon a time, someone from Airbus advised it was unnecessary. The logic being
- ALT(blue) is always and only displayed when SEL ALT <> ACT ALT (my simplified version for brevity) details FCOM DSC 22_30-70-10 "B" Vertical Functions - Principles
- If you read the SEL ALT over or below ALT tape (FLxxx blue for instance) reading the ALT(blue) achieves nothing as they are the same thing.
- Extra verbiage is a distraction (albeit very small here, still it is a principal thing to keep things neat)
- to read "ALT (blue)" to these operators would feel similar to saying "Vertical-Slash-Speed +/- nnnn)
- omitting the ALT(blue) does NOT in any way interfere with the basic requirement to announce FMA / PDF changes, You just read the change with the blue altitude / FL on the right side, which is what has actually changed and admittedly, drop the ALT(blue) in the FMA armed-modes line.

I am not calling the first method wrong, and admit the FCOM reads exactly that way. My claim is that bit more insight into the communication loop as well as Airbus own (could be outdated!) advice was in favour of the second approach.

Personal technique shared with peers here while we do not call ALT blue for level changes is that:
- we call ALT CSTR if we get that (it has an additional meaning)
- we call NAV blue as PM if that is the result of his actions when executing DCT-TO with RAD-IN/OUT on PF's request (same loops as flaps actually)
- we call CAT I after AP disconnect on ILS approach
- we do call QNH xxxx when changing altimeters
- we do call MDA / MDH / BARO nnn for the minima line
- we do not call NAV blue as PF when making DCT-TO with RAD-IN/OUT if you are just about to cancel it with HDG pull
- we do not call transient CAT II when disconnecting AP for landing
- we do not call LVR CLB (flashing) at reduction alt unless it is an alerting call by PM to PF who's not there with his senses.

I present the above solely for the reason of getting corrected Yet believe the dividing line is meaningful / not meaningful.

For those thinking that omitting ALT(blue) is wrong: to get me change sides - do you guys (honest Q)
- read CLB - NAV blue during the take-off, or ever at all (I'd say no, for the same reasons as above)?
- when reading the SEL ALT (7000 blue for instance), do you say where it is ("on top" "bottom")?

Last edited by FlightDetent; 25th Oct 2018 at 15:30.