PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After 5 hours...
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2018, 11:22
double_barrel

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Weeeee
This has been a good read and as others have commented brought back memories, you are definitely not alone.
Thanks, I have found it cathartic!.

Surprised you don't power check or take off full rich, what are you flying and has it been explained why? I seem to recall a general direction to never lean above 75% power.
The airfield is at 5,500'ASL. So full rich is always too rich.

Is that 20 minutes for push back / taxi, or waiting in a queue to take off while burning your cash? If the latter I would be concerned - where is this?
The latter - I am concerned! Sometime have to wait >1hour for startup permission

Left hand circuits are easier for the reason you mentioned earlier, thats why you sit on the left. You'll adapt quickly. Should have seen me trying to get used to a right slipped approach when the wind was in an unusual direction, never done that much, understood the theory but muscle memory not there, all over the shop like a one-armed paper hangar.

That reminds me, my attempts to side slip in the C172 have been very unimpressive, there does not seem to be enough rudder authority to counter even a little aileron. I had a vision of screaming-in sideways while shedding airspeed and altitude and plonking it down on the numbers! That may be Sky God level? Or maybe the little Cessna just doesn't do that ?