PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learn to glide?
Thread: Learn to glide?
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2018, 10:34
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Henwood, I began gliding at Booker in 1983 at the age of 50....and have since flown over 3,000 hours in this and that, in the US, UK, Russia, and France and Spain! Grand for sightseeing. Booker was very busy in those days, and helicopters don't seem to mix very well with winch cables! which is the cheapest way of throwing a glider into the air. Dunstable has always been a gliding site, they are wise, and friendly. My club at Shenington would also be worth a visit, though not so . busy in the winter season, we are active on weekends with decent weather.
Dont try flying in fog, rain, or wind over 15 mph! When you decide to learn to fly, you will make a very intense study of the weather. My longest flight in a Pegasus glider, no engine at all at all, was 8 hours and 53 minutes, in the UK, in a competition; the task, from Husbands Bosworth was 500 kilometers. Both Dunstable and Shenington are located on hills, which if the wind is from the NW or West, work fairly well, providing rising air even in winter. Beginning on longer days in March, we fly 7 days a week, weather permitting. In summer weather, the strongest lift is found under cumulus clouds, which form over towns or hot fields facing the sun. Do you have family? teenagers learn to fly very quickly!