PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-cockpit videos
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2018, 11:29
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rarelyathome -- first you accuse me of confirmation bias, then you accuse me of patronising... but please re-read your posts and try to see which one of us is doing which.
N2P, I speak from many decades of advanced instructing and mentoring in dozens of GA types - I'm not new at this. I caution that the perseverance you display in your posts appears to be the "type A" personality, which can make really successful business people. "Type A" makes much less good student pilots. If you were in the cockpit with me, apparently so unwilling to consider experienced advice, we probably would not continue the flight. "Type A" personalities tend to think that they know better when flying, most often they do not. A few of my type A students found themselves suddenly in a very alarming and realistic situation, which I created for them, to bring to their attention why what they had just thought they could do, they should not have attempted.

Of course it's possible to carry cameras, and probably have a good flight, I have done it many times. But, at this stage in your anticipated flight training, the risks exceed the benefits for you. Yes, you could come back here, and tell us that you took two GoPros flying, and watched the video over and over later. Then a wise poster here may tell you that without a mentored review, you're not really learning from your mistakes, your just reinforcing them. Mt wife, who is a college professor tells me about the students who pay close attention in class, and those who record what she says, thinking they'll learn more later from the recording - maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Treat your flying lesson with the seriousness that flying requires - learn during the lesson, with your full attention, learn right, and reinforce building good piloting skills. You've had a wealth of very experienced pilot's advice here, and none of them learned to fly with the aid of recording devices - and look, we're all still flying! Indeed, when I learned to fly, the only video recording possible was a Super 8 movie camera, and yes, my pilot buddy and I did take one flying once. After paying for the film to be developed, we only watched it once, that was in 1978, I have no idea what happened to it.

N2P. you've asked for advice, and got advice - not what you expected, but worthwhile. Whether you follow it or not, we'll never know, but experienced pilots here gave you their best advice. Experienced advice is willingly given here, I hope you'll become memorable as a person who is appreciative to receive it.