PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More routes for Air Wales ?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2003, 19:14
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is another post that suggests that Ryanair might be talking to CWL management about more flights from there.

If this includes extra rotations on the CWL-DUB that would impact adversely on Air Wales. Air Wales operates out of the restricted PLH to Cork and Dublin. Any thoughts of increasing routes from there might be scuppered if the new Air SouthWest decides to build up PLH a bit. I believe bmibaby is about to start a CWL-ORK route which will not help Air Wales.

So, they may find competition growing quicker than they had hoped.

That is the negative side. There is a positive.

Brussels is not served from Wales, unless FR nips in to their Brussels South. CWL has no service to NCL, MAN, ABZ, LPL or LBA. It may be that a ATR 42 is the right size for at least one of these routes - CWL-NCL?

In the past Welsh airlines traditionally worked out of BRS as well as CWL: Cambrian, Airways Cymru and Inter European Airways. Air Wales has not apparently tried to do this, and now there are no routes left out of Lulsgate that might conceivably be filled by 6G unless it tried a CWL-BRS-ABZ, that is if the rumoured Eastern ABZ-BRS does not start first.

The pan-Wales thing has been talked about for many a year and might be worth a go with public funding, but whether such a route would ever stand on its own feet is anyone's guess.

I hope that Air Wales does progress but it is in a cut throat business. I have no idea how the LCY service is making out. I would love to think it is a success because an alternative to road and rail from South Wales to London has been asked for by business people for many years.