PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-cockpit videos
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 22:36
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys!

9 lives -- I fully appreciate what you're saying and have taken that into consideration. Setup time prior to the flight will take a good few menutes, but setup time on the day of the flight should take 5 minutes tops (install and take down), if not shorter. I've not exactly timed myself doing this, but how long does it take to clip a GoPro onto a pre-installed adhesive mount? How long does it take to stick on a suction cup? Press two buttons, done!

While I appreciate learning from someone else's mistakes, the purpose of taking my own video is finding my own mistakes. Once the video is on, the idea is to forget about it and fly. By nature, I'm constantly worried about missing stuff or forgetting about stuff so video recording is done so that I don't have to think about those worries. Also, for a learning environment, I expect to be over-saturated with info on flying so being able to review at my leisure is what makes this worth the extra hassle.

I totally understand what you say about iPads though and you'll have to admit, their purpose for those gadgets are very, very different from my purpose with regards to recording my flights! I'm 100% with you against iPads in the cockpit especially for students, but this is because I understand that they were intending to refer to or fiddle with the iPads during flight. I have no intention of even thinking about the GoPros while in flight except in the case of one falling off and it's only to retrieve it to ensure it doesn't end up where it doesn't belong.

rarelyathome -- I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding my concerns, but let me repeat my questions... why don't you allow cameras? Is it based on sound evidence or personal preference?

You claim that this is not a good idea, but how can you know if you don't allow cameras? You say there isn't time between aircraft trips; either your school is really, really busy or that you're thinking camera setup is more complex and time-consuming than it actually is. Do you have time under your belt doing camera setups and audio recording?

As for learning in different ways, do consider that fighter pilots record their flights via ACMI (Air Combat Maneuvering Instrumentation) and play it back and scrutinize every single detail and decision-making instances during their flight. As such, I'm taking a leaf out of their book.

mary meagher -- point taken regarding clutter and that is why the plan is for two cameras for now, one behind the pilot's head so very minimal obstruction, if any, and the other one just between the dash and the window, so while this will obstruct the view, it's done so that it's not by very much.

I would like to restate that this has 100% to do with review and learning and 0% to do with ego. I don't blame you for making that assumption though, what with Facebook and selfies everywhere. I assure you I'm the odd guy for my generation --- my Facebook profile picture is only one picture and it's 9+ years old. I take pictures of places I go to and not bothered if my face is in it or not. I prefer eating the food and have zero interest of taking a picture of it and posting it to Facebook or Instagram.... I don't even have an Instagram account! I've missed quite a few parties with friends because the invite was done via Facebook and so I've missed it. So please guys, understand the reasons why I'm doing this and my intended benefits instead of responding to your own assumptions.

As I said before, it seems like I won't be getting answers to questions in my first two posts but I do appreciate people bringing issues to my attention. I feel like I've responded to all issues brought up and have thought up a solution to these issues; if anyone can think of new problems that may arise or that I've not adequately "solved" an issue, I'd be very grateful if they can point it out!

I realize that while I may not be getting the help I was asking for, I'm getting help nevertheless and I appreciate that!