PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Motorglider vs Cessna vs Microlight training. Help!
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 11:49
Glider Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorglider vs Cessna vs Microlight training. Help!

Hi All

I am currently around 20 winch launches into my glider pilot training and loving every second, no intention of stopping at all. However, I have developed a much broader love of aviation and flying since starting and I have actually started a PPL course near my home at Bristol Airport (Cessna 172) - now this is fantastic, love it (have a whopping 1.6 hours !)...but it ain't cheap! Whilst gliding this weekend, a fellow member asked why I didn't just do an NPPL on a motorglider...I realise I can convert a glider licence to NPPL with about 10 hours, but I have to have passed a few significant milestones in a glider to be able to do this, and that is likely to take 2-3 years...I am 52 now and just don't have the patience to wait that long. I really have 2 wishes, one is scudding around in a glider but the other is a desire to fly my wife/friends on holiday or just out for the day.

So my question is, do any of you know of a motorglider or fixed wing Microlight NPPL school near to North Somerset where I could potentially do this? Also, does anyone know if my hours in a Cessna 172 will be credited towards a NPPL for MTG or Microlight? If they would, I guess I can continue for now while I keep looking.

Any other advice also welcome

Thanks
Steve