PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Chart simplification! why, why, WHY?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2003, 17:54
GA Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lodown
What's the point of them these days with improved VHF coverage, GPS positioning, EPIRB's, etc? As far as I am concerned, those depictions of designated remote areas can go follow HF radios into oblivion. Waste of space on the charts
Whilst I agree that VHF has improved and most A/C carry ELTs nowadays, I dont generally carry survival equipment with me on most charter flights (Other than my lunch! ) Hence why my original post says I wanted to avoid them.

Pilots can call on what they determine to be the most suitable frequency. If that doesn't work, they can try another.
Don't know whether I agree with that one. If I want a clearance through Melbourne Radar's airspace, its going to be no good calling Melbourne Centre on a frequency that is for use 90 miles away! It's just a waste of everyones time.

...the NAS education really needs to step up to the plate
Couldnt agree with you more on that one!

My whole point to the original post, is I dont see that benefit of removing these things. These are items have never caused any hassle before so whats the big problem now?

I'll be interested to see if in 2-3 years some bright spark decides that 'itd be a great idea if we had the frequencies on the chart, imagine the time and effort it would save!'

Cheers
GA Driver: