PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RNAV and visual approach
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 21:01
Cyclone733

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Lantirn,
My understanding of the term 'Circling' is the visual part of an approach to a runway after you've broken off from the instrument part of the approach. The controller's 'Circling' is in effect your 'Visual approach'
EASA Annex 1 - Definitions States " ‘Circling’ means the visual phase of an instrument approach to bring an aircraft into position for landing on a runway/FATO that is not suitably located for a straight-in approach"

The EASA documents go into some depth on the way circling minima are calculated. One of the take home points is that the minima for circling can't be lower than the minima for the instrument approach it's based on.
So for the VOR35 I'd imagine the hills to the West of the approach are a factor in the higher than normal minimums
I don't know why the RNAV35 doesn't include a Circling minima as well.
My guesses would be:
1. Cost/Time in calculating the minima
2. Higher minima for circling due to the approach path being closer to the hills to the South of the field
3. An interim procedure to be replaced with future LNAV/VNAV to 17 or RNP-A approaches
4. Issues with any go around due to terrain and airspace issues (the high ground to the North and close proximity to another FIR)

Question for you, if you weren't intending to 'Circle' how were you intending to fly the visual approach?

All the best