PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of the AFPRB as we know it?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 17:48
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alfred_the_great
Athough, are there any private sector companies who give you an annual pay rise simply for turning up?
I often have this sort of discussion with civvie friends; no idea why as neither side has ever changed the others mind. But the way I see it is this. Inflationary pay rises are just good practice, especially where companies are doing well and generating profits. It incentivises folk to remain with the firm if they are appropriately paid, which has to be cheaper in the long run than losing experience to a competitor and then having recruitment and training costs on top of the loss you’ve incurred.

As for increments, I wouldn’t advocate endless increments but a pay spine does reflect increasing competence, experience and qualification. As such the top increment rather than the bottom increment represents what that role is actually worth I.e. what a SQEP brings to the table. Below that you are still developing hence the lower pay. No doubt the Treasury don’t agree, in which case they need to stop folk marking time for 2 years on promotion because they haven’t the experience to warrant the jump up a level.