PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana ICN-ORD pax fatality w/ no divert, inflicting 10 hrs trauma economy section
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 15:53
SeenItAll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did any of you read the news article provided. [Newsmaker] Passenger dies of heart attack onboard Asiana Airlines This is what it said:

"The captain reported a medical emergency on board after the man, 76, experienced heart attack symptoms and collapsed. Flight attendants made an announcement and found a physician, who performed CPR in an attempt to save the sick man, but he was pronounced dead."

So out over the Bering Sea you want a likely over-weight widebody to divert to Cold Bay (or perhaps to Anchorage 2-3 hours further distant) in order to off-load a corpse?

Instead, I hear drivel like divert to Russia or backtrack to Manchuria where they "have good facilities for these diverts." Do tell what they are? Why would you assume that if the flight crew thought there was a reasonable chance (or any chance) of saving this person's life that they did not follow it? Or impugn there identity of the person who attended to the man by stating that he just "claims to be a doctor." If the choice is between receiving immediate attention from someone who claims to be (or actually is) a physician on an airplane versus taking a 2-hour diversion to an ER in Kamchatka, I know which I would choose.