PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-cockpit videos
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 15:00
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nurse2Pilot
I was simply pointing out that if the GoPro adhesive can withstand being out in the airflow, what gives people the idea that it will come off in flight while inside the cockpit.
Be careful though. I have had GoPros on surfaces that turned out to be a bit dirty, or letting air through but at minute levels. The GoPro felt fine after being attached, but it fell off spontaneously 10 minutes later. Fortunately we were still on the ground at that time.

Also, the suction mount works by (duh) suction, so by creating a pressure differential between the air pressure under the cup, and the outside world. However, as soon as you start flying the ambient pressure goes down. This also decreases the pressure differential, to the point where it may not be strong enough anymore to hold the GoPro in place.

Both reasons may cause a GoPro that seems to be properly attached on the ground, to fall off while in the air. I've had both happen to me.

Oh, and another thing about tethers and cameras on the outside. If you mount your camera to the outside and tether it, make sure the tether is long enough so the camera sits behind the wing/fuselage should the suction mount go. If it's not long enough and the suction cup does let go, the camera will bounce against the fuselage/wing, and will do significantly more damage than what the camera is worth. In that case, better not to tether it at all. And, of course, make sure the tether is not in any way able to foul a control.

That's all from actual experience when GoPros were still hot and happening. Five years later, and I can fully understand why authorities, clubs and owners simply forbid placing cameras on the outside. Heck, I have even seen people put GoPros on flight control surfaces (including ailerons and elevators). When I pointed out that that would significantly alter the balance and flutter characteristics of the flight control, they were just giving me that vacant blank stare. No clue what they were doing.