PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Tank systems on most GA aircraft...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 14:37
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Despite my desire to, I have never flown a Bulldog, and know little about them. However, I have found that the design standards are a gold mine of hard won wisdom, free for anyone to apply to their aircraft design. Note, that they are standards, not regulations. Therefore, if an eager aircraft designer would like to demonstrate that their aircraft design is entirely safe while not complying with the standard, they are free to do so, and if successful, will be awarded certification of that design. I have approved designs which were not in harmony with the design requirement, though it was not an easy task!

I believe that the airworthiness authorities are very diligent, and conservative when it comes to fuel system design. During research I did in the 1980's relating to accidents in Lycoming 320 powered aircraft (I was looking for a latent design shortcoming in the engine, I found that Canadian accidents in the 320 powered aircraft were nearly 50% fuel exhaustion, and 20% more crashing without engine power due to fuel shortage, while another tank contained fuel. (4% of crashes were maintenance related). So I can see why the FAA and other authorities focus on very conservative fuel system design.

For myself, I really like L/R only systems, it forces fuel management habits. My C 150 only has on/off, and I really considered modifying it to include a L/R selection as well - it just was not worth the effort for the small benefit it could bring. The more tanks, and the more control the pilot has over those tanks, the greater operational flexibility available, as well as abnormal situation management. Twice (C 177RG and C 206), I have been able to use the L/R to isolate a tank venting fuel to assure that I used what was left, in the venting tank, and not loose more fuel from the non venting tank via crossfeeding. One of my other aircraft is L/R only, with four tanks, During a nerve wracking flight with an unforecast headwind, and no alternate, I was able to run three tanks dry, and know what I had remaining in my last tank to complete the flight. Doing so got me safely to a runway with the least risk of running dry on one tank, while carrying fuel I had not used in other tanks.