PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hydraulics failure- helicopters
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 13:49
Paul Cantrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: hydraulic failures... I'm glad this was brought up. My question isn't about losing boost - I spend so much time teaching loss of boost that it really doesn't worry me (but I don't fly anything larger than a Bell L3 so I might think differently if I was flying bigger aircraft). [btw, Frank Robinson once told me that feedback forces go up as the cube of the blade chord. yikes!].

My question, that I've asked about 10,000 people is, does anyone know anyone who's had a hard-over, i.e. where one of the servos malfunctions and goes full stroke in one direction or the other? Nobody has ever responded in the positive, so either it just doesn't happen, or everybody it's happened to is dead. Anyone here have any input? I usually tell people (half jokingly) that if it happens, the first thing you do is turn of the hydraulics, and the second thing you do is recover from inverted flight.

Can anyone comment from first or second hand experience? I'm assuming nobody is strong enough to fight a servo and that the stick is simply going to go full deflection in some direction, depending on which servo has had the failure?