PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 11:21
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about reissuing the award in both Tracey's and Ewalds name as a compromise?
Why? Neither person accomplished a "feat of navigation" while acting as a team, in a very well redundantly equipped aircraft, being supported by a larger team, and further ground support. If Tracey had been the victim of an injustice, the vote of the members would have reflected that. The LAA must defend the value of their award by assuring that it is issued with merit.

In my opinion, Tracey could have turned this around, by addressing concerns expressed by her peers enough to have them withdraw somewhat. Thereafter, with a more truthful and transparent presentation, go on to her efforts of public relations and encouraging new pilots. Sadly, any pilot to be who steps up to the counter and says "I'm here to ask about learning to fly because I saw Tracey's presentation" will trigger angst with the person they speak with. I'm confident that it'll work out well for them anyway, after a caring flying instructor helps them over the first obstacle they have put in front of themself - wanting to be like the famous Tracey.

I was inspired (again) by Neil Armstrong, having watched the movie "First Man" on Saturday evening. As I had already understood, Neil answered media questions with accurate brevity, never a "ME!, ME!!". When answering for a failure he said "we fail down here so we can succeed up there". Admit what happened, and move on with truthful purpose!