Thread: Gatwick-2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 10:33
DaveReidUK

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by EIFFS
Having now read most of the proposal document

Read it all, or you'll get told off.

Given that the bulk of traffic volume flys south from LGW and that by using the back up runway would free capacity for the traffic heading in to west Europe & Scandinavia, having said that it will be a huge engineering project just to add concrete to the north of the main runway because of the need to move Juliet taxy way which have to go the north of the ponds and the fire training area will need to be relocated to allow construction of the bypass loop around the runway heads.
The proposal talks about shifting Twy J a maximum of 27 metres further north.

The current nominal width of J is 25 m (though the actual pavement is wider, beyond the yellow edge marking on the southern edge). So imagine another 25 m wide taxiway to the north with just a 2 m gap in between the two. Yes, the pond where the River Mole turns to go under the airfield would need to be narrowed, but I don't think the fire training area would be affected.

The relocated taxiway may impinge on some or all of the 140-145 stands - it depends whether the required runway-to-taxiway separation applies only to the TORA or to the TODA (i.e. including the 08L clearway). I don't know the answer to that without looking it up in Annex 14.