PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes a good pilot?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2003, 17:05
chicken6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A refinement of the Wizard's comment "is happy to use you again", the best pilots I have trained, checked and been flown around by are generally the ones who people ask for again. If you want to be a 'good' pilot then, you should want and try to be the one people ask for.

For examples, I flew with one of my ex-students earlier this year and once we got going, went back to put oil in, got going again, he decided that he "didn't want to use the radio", so took us across, no THROUGH the Manawatu gorge at ~1200', BELOW where I remember the Ansett plane going in (and we couldn't see the wind farm coz we were so low), with 2000' wind around 30-35kt. On the lee side, had trouble maintaining altitude due to downdraughts etc. I'd rather not fly with him again (and I taught him ) although he met the minimum standard on test day, so has the same licence as me.

Contrast with one of the more experienced joyride pilots at the same place, energy, enthusiasm galore, care for the aeroplane, always clean windows, always a good takeoff (not too slow, not too showy) good obviously-under-control flight, good landing, good post-flight and obviously enjoying it (even when she wasn't, she pretended for their sake). EVERYONE wanted to fly with her, she got lots of flying.

Be the one they want to fly with. "They" are the people who buy your lunches, or call checklists for you, or approve you to fly their aeroplanes, or etc. etc. etc. i.e. everyone you meet needs to see that you like what you're doing and you're good at it.