PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbushe Memories (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2018, 23:17
Geoffrey Home

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by chevvron
To get back to the original question: there were three clubs at LK in the early'70s:
Three Counties
Aeromart
Blackbushe Aero Club.

BAC as far as I remember had two Condors and a Wassmer Baladou. CFI was a very tall guy Andy something (just can't remember his surname - been racking my brain for days)
Andy had a falling out with Doug Arnold, hence his club premises were down the far (west) end of the airfield from the other two, south of the runway where they now park the fuel trucks.
I believe both Aeromart and BAC threw in the towel when local authority regs required airfields to be classed as light industrial premises rather than recreational facilities; the two clubs were unable to afford the increase in rates which Doug had no choice but to pass on.
G-ATUG and G-AWFP were at BAC run by CFI Andy Aldridge. G-ATUG was at the LAA Rally in 2018 now painted white from previous yellow. G-AYZS also made some appearances at BB. There were also some Jodels. I remember paying in advance to fly for around £25/hr. Also we got caught up in the 1975 fuel crisis - happy days, regardless.