Thread: Toy Drones
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2018, 23:00
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Capt Fathom
After it’s been through the prop!
Folks,
Couldn't find a pic., too long ago, but I hit a bird one evening, in an Apache 235 (short nose Aztec) , something the size of a crow.

The damage was very similar to that video, a big hole punched in the leading edge, the remains against the front face of the spar, leading edge collapsed to the ribs on either side, we were not bird experts, so we never knew what it was. I was about 2500AGL, 3000 AMSL, climing at the time. About 120 IAS.

Whether it is a two pound bird or a drone into a direct hit on the airframe or windscreen, it is not your day.

Many years ago it killed a very good mate of mine a bit west of YSBK. Birdstrike on the windscreen, bird blood identified on the remains of the windscreen, which collapsed, sliding canopy blew off with the pressure, took the fin and rudder off, we lost two of the country's best automotive engineers in the one crash.

Personally, I think CASA is derelict in its duty, not having introduced suitable strict, nay absolute, liability penalty regulation to control birds in flight.

Tootle pip!!