PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-cockpit videos
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2018, 20:17
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAverage
Different rules in FAA land. At least that camera will protect his tail skid.............
Originally Posted by ChickenHouse
There are many things you can do in FAAland which brings you into trouble in EASAland, so be careful.
I gathered as much but care to confirm if these are different in FAA and in EASA? Would appreciate pointing me to a source if possible!

Originally Posted by 9 lives
Yes, I have had things come adrift in an aircraft and cause an unsafe situation. A towbar I failed to notice in the baggage compartment of a 172RG I rented bounced up while I was flying, and cracked the back window. I paid to replace the window, it was my fault.

I suggest that you not stick anything to the paint of an aircraft you do not own. Doing so might constitute a "major modification" for which an approval would be required. At the very least, if you damage the paint removing it later, you'll find out how expensive aircraft paintwork is! Paul Berterelli of AvWeb does know what he's doing, but, like so many things in aviation, the fact that an experienced pilot can tell you how to do something, does not mean you should attempt it! Leave the cameras at home, and focus on undistracted learning.
How exactly did the towbar bounce up? What were you doing? I'm guessing the weight of the towbar and the weight of a GoPro camera is significantly different, but point taken! As for sticking things on paintwork, I wonder what in the world gave you the idea that I was going to do that? I was simply pointing out that if the GoPro adhesive can withstand being out in the airflow, what gives people the idea that it will come off in flight while inside the cockpit?

While I certainly appreciate the warnings regarding putting cameras in the cockpit, I am still confused as to how people automatically assume that I would be distracted with using this setup. The idea is to have it simple and quick to set up, turn it on, and then forget about it until after the flight. The only time I think I will be distracted by using a camera is if it falls off during the flight.