PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Survey: 2018, Instructor's terms and conditions on a changing market?
Old 21st Oct 2018, 09:13
Meester proach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nurse2Pilot
I've heard advice to the contrary; that some recruiters are looking at what you've been doing in your spare/unemployed time. From what I understood, it seems that a fATPL holder who goes back to Tesco stocking shelves is looked upon less favorably than the guy who goes out and tows banners or gliders or whatever. Time in the air is time in the air and is experience under your belt. I think it was Captain Joe's video that mentioned this.

trust me, because I’ve done it, that 00s of hours instructing circuits in a Cessna have no relevance to airliner flying. You will peak in your ability to fly a heading at 90kts, then quite often you get worse as it’s a bit boring after a while.

i would agree that any flying job is better than Tesco’s though, but I wouldn’t want more than say 2000 hrs at the end of it, as alluded to above, some airlines see that as negative training.

now if you were a multi IR instructor flying raw data ILS to minima most days, that would be good as conventional flying scans are quickly degraded in airliners and we do t do much raw data.