PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-cockpit videos
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2018, 18:54
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrAverage, thanks for pointing that out. I found the relevant documentation under CAP 1369. My flight school has pre-existing GoPro mounts plus a unanimous "yes, but..." response to my queries regarding GoPro use, so I assume they've taken the appropriate steps. I'll ask a more direct question next time I go there to be sure.

xrayalpha, thanks for your input! As to your concerns, (first) I'll ask the school again to be sure, but like I said, there are pre-existing GoPro mounts, (second) this is really all up to me and being true to my word so I'll be sure to keep private things private, (third) I've gotten the instructor's permission to do so and have no issues blurring them out should I wish to share the video and they want to remain anonymous or simply not share the video if they have any reservations whatsoever. The primary purpose of this exercise is for my own learning and review, not to gain YouTube fame, and I would have no issues at all if these videos are not seen by anyone else except myself. The only reason I take into consideration sharing videos is because of the beauty of aviation but this doesn't mean it has to be those videos with instructors in the cockpit.

One issue you raise is lookout and it's easy to spot issues there with an instructor in the cockpit. But am I doing enough on my solo flights? What exactly was going on before XX happened? With nobody else there, or if the instructor was similarly distracted by another task, the camera is the perfect tool to review and confirm any issues in the cockpit even if I am by myself during that flight. Flight simulation can only do so much. For example, if I'm not doing a good-enough lookout, flight simulation will not help me recognize that in any way. If I make a mistake, flight simulation will not show me what I was doing before XX happened, I'll still need a camera pointed at me for that.

Reading the CAP 1369, I do note that there doesn't seem to be a secondary setup where I can secure a lanyard or strap. I'll take a look at that when I visit the school again. I guess that's now an addition to my previous questions which still remain unanswered: To those that do this, what type of lanyard or strap do you use (and how long?) to secure your cameras?

If people do not wish to speak openly due to the issues cited in this thread, please feel free to PM me and I will greatly appreciate it and will respect your desire for privacy.

There are clearly concerns about doing this activity but there are clearly guidelines on how to do it safely. I honestly appreciate the issues being brought to my attention and I will be sure to do this activity in the safest way possible.