PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Atlanta Treatment of Aircrew
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2002, 02:52
Ex Servant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFE69 Sorry but the info you were given was not quite correct. I was on the aircraft for quite some time discussing what I found. I checked every toilet BCF and found that they all had labels on them indicating that they were out of date. Bearing in mind this was what would have been classed as a higher risk flight for in flight fires due to it being a night charter flight I'm sure you will understand why I was concerned. Fair enough the MEL did say an aircraft could depart with a BCF inop as long as the smoke detector was OK. However I have personal experience of somebody blocking up a detector and smoking in a toilet (had him arrested on landing at LGW). If it had only been one toilet the chances were maybe low taking into account all of the available toilets but as it was all of them (or so I thought on the info available at the time)made it a different situation. Just two months later Virgin suffered an inflight toilet fire and the crew were not initially aware of the smoke detector fire. The fire training I've done has suggested that if a toilet fire is not attacked within two minutes that it maybe too late. As I've said before AA did have a meeting with me about what happened and did deal with the extinguishers. I did therefore return to flying and finish my contract with them. However I was not aware until I read this topic that similar questions had previously been raised about AA. The question that has always remained in my mind is how the company that did the servicing for AA could say that they had checked five bottles in different parts of the aircraft and failed to replace all of the labels. Then somebody else could have checked and signed off the work and also failed to notice the labels. We know from past experience that sometimes companies say work has been done when it hasn't. Please don't misunderstand my reasons for mentioning what I have. Yes it's true I personally wasn't happy working the AA way. However they employed me and paid me when I didn't have any other work and the people had the best of intentions. I don't even work in the industry anymore (still miss it though) and have no need to grind any axe with AA. I do still have a concern for my former colleagues and everyone flying today. I therefore feel that open honest dialogue about any safety issue regardless of the airline involved is in everyones interest. On the night involved I made a personal decision for my own safety based upon the information available to me at the time and my own personal experience. If it was wrong, well that's life but I believe in stopping before you find out too late you made the wrong decision. If others wish to take an alternative view that's their right to do so. As we all know the flight operated without incident and I hope they continue to do so.