PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cobalt ceases operations
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2018, 09:38
Gordomac

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Reverserunlocked ; Bit of confusion . You say Cyprus Airways offering free one ways. Maybe a code share indicating that it is CY but to my knowledge there is no Cyprus Airways. They went bust some time ago. Several attempts to fill the vacuum have been made without success. Indeed, only in yesterday's Cyprus Daily Mail, CY was referred to as the "now defunct Cyprus Airways". I have lived here for ten years and see no planes with "Cyprus Airways" written on the side.

Along came Cobolt some two years ago with involvement with the Cyprus Government to fill part of the gap. Cobolt is funded with 49% Chinese money and the rest by Cyprus (the latter might well be a melting pot of varied investment). Cobolt had two of six aircraft based at Larnaca. Both are now parked up at LCA.

Cyprus Government (being 51% backers) have announced that they will help stranded pax up until 24th October. Very limited help by the way.. Advice to pax was that if you paid through your credit card, contact them. If you paid through a Travel Operator, contact them. A refund through Cobolt (?), join the queue.

All part of aviation I regret to say. Airlines come & go and leave a right old mess in the wake of going.