PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whatever you do, don't change anything - CASA Multicom
Old 20th Oct 2018, 08:13
Icarus2001

Received 247 Likes on 107 Posts
In the USA or Canada, 126.7 is the Class G as they call it frequency for uncontrolled airspace. It's fine for the really remote areas.
Get closer to the big smoke and up high, you hear every clown within 100 miles going thru those long winded radio calls
endlessly yabbering "Conflicting traffic please advise" instead of using eyeballs.
So you seem to be arguing for both sides there, which is it? When I am inbound in my jet to an uncontrolled aerodrome at 250 knots, descending through cloud I give at inbound call at 30nm, around 10,000 feet. That call can result in beep backs from all the CTAFs (ARFUs) on the same frequency, which then prevent the other stations being heard. Once that noise settles down we can actually talk to traffic that we need to, assuming we can get a word in with traffic transmitting every leg of circuit elsewhere. ONE frequency would not work here as it does in the US, their controlled airspace set up is different and they have ALMOST 100% radar coverage allowing traffic advisories.

This is entirely consistent with the whole of CASA. That is, never change anything, never show a skerrick of leadership. Never copy the best from overseas and incorporate with the best we already do here.
Dick I am no fan of CASA but they change things all the time, mostly worse such as the Part 61 licence debacle but sometimes better. I received my medical slip the other day by message before I had even left the doctors surgery.

I do share your sentiments about why we tend not to copy the best of the world, we seem to believe we are different. I love hearing the navy brass tell the media how our submarine requirements are "unique" compared to the rest of the world that is why we cannot buy off the shelf. Not one reporter asks "what is unique about our requirements" all sheep.