PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA / BOAC Training 1960's - 1970's
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2018, 05:24
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Air law 1 & 2, nav plot and theory, engines, aerodynamics, radio theory, practical including Morse at 12 words per minute, liberal studies where you kept stumm as you had signed the official secrets act and there was active recruitment at British universities. Met 1 and 2...possibly performance although think that was done in the corporation's.mental calcs which many feared as they did with the link trainer and a polish? Instructor.
student unions bar where those who could afford it practised heavy drinking so that they were up to speed before they joined the corporations.
225 hours including 70 on the baron of which 20? Was solo.
corrections to previous posts..BEA did put guys onto the vanguard first..we had to fly three pilot aircraft first and were trained up as some of the old boys couldn't fly an instrument approach on the trident.
. 2 years SO, two years AFO, four years FO then SFO when you got onto Dan Air FO salary ..20 years to command. Was worse than pay to fly nowadays.
Lord king changed everything and got rid of most of the dross in management.
Transfer wasn't easy and I was on the first group..I had a lot to learn about professionalism and was qualified P1 on a heavy jet when 28.
wasn't that easy to transfer countries..I did to CH who desperately needed experienced pilots of high standard and basically pulled the strings in the luftampt but we still has to do one of the ATPL exams.
Their training both ground and in the air made BA look like amateurs, which was partly due to taking in a mix of training captain's from around the world on mega salaries and a core of single seat jet jockies predominately both Swiss and Luftwaffe.