PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Driving home whilst fatigued
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2018, 12:33
Wireless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the company liability thing. I don’t want to defend them.

But I think looking at it this way. They see it as your normal place of work. How you get to and from it is your ballywhack. In their eyes no different from a factory worker on night shift.

The big question could be, do they leave you at the end of the shift in no fit state to practically (the word being practically) travel anywhere? Well, ha ha. That’s leaning on an open door, and I think we all know the reality is, particularly after LH when you’re based a drive away..... errr! But you can see the can of worms with that one. If they’re leaving you in such a poor state at the end of a duty they see fit to provide a hotel or accept liability for road accidents it would beg the question of how could 30 mins before you be fit to be in duty during landing? The firm I work for do have a “dark room” at the base. A creepy place where you can sleep on flat chairs to the sound of multiple snoring. I’ve used it once or twice. Twice was enough. I still have the nightmares. I still have the scars. Never again Horace...

So in the eyes of everything, “you’re on your own mate”. I’m sure there’s been a few test cases in other work roles where this has cropped up though. But I’d forget about firm liability in a practical sense. Likely to be least of your worries if you have a prang. Look out for number 1 and take some kip.