PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Late touchdown to get to terminal quicker?
Old 18th Oct 2018, 11:12
meleagertoo

Received 138 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk 6042
So if it is required to land within the TDZ regardless of the length of runway in front of you, why is it OK to do a de-rated take-off? Surely it should be full throttle on departure regardless of the length of runway in front of you?
I suspect the answer is that a derated t/o has been calculated whereas a long landing cannot be as you have no way of measuring the exact touchdown point required. This is of course a relatively recent aberration resulting from stultifying airline SOPs that prevent airmmans*** oh! God! I nearly said that word! and assume pilots have neither the judgement nor ability to actually fly their aircraft. I guess if your SOP doesn't outlaw it there's no problem.

I had many illuminating discussions with indoctrinated f/o's who objected to autobrake off no reverse landings in a light 319 on 18R at Schipol for instance - just because it wasn't usually the config they used elsewhere. Perfectly OK by the manual and you still needed power taxiing off if you coasted more than ⅔ of the way down.
Did it save time? A few seconds perhaps but not really significant.

But we were forbidden to land long.