PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Late touchdown to get to terminal quicker?
Old 18th Oct 2018, 09:32
LadyL2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doors to Automatic
Which airport was this at LadyL2013?

I would say it is bad practice even with a long runway - in fact talking of BA I know they place a lot of emphasis on touching down in the TDZ. It is drummed in time and time again that if you miss the TDZ you go around - no exceptions. Recently I saw reported in their monthly safety brief that a 319 went around as they passed the last TDZ marking at LHR at only a foot or two above ground and what a good decision that was. This is despite the fact that the aircraft could have stopped in just over half the runway from that point!

I did see one of their 757s land a bit further down 25 years ago or so - but that was after advising ATC and asking if it was ok.
It was Jose Marti Havana with Cubana. The internal flying was interesting! It didnt feel unsafe but was certainly quite lax! No safety demonstration, no ticket needed, no external walk around checks, no cabin checks. Very much get on whilst the engines are starting, sit down, fly, no service, land, get off, pick your bags up from the apron and walk off!