PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-cockpit videos
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2018, 00:46
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In-cockpit videos

About to start my training and now I'm looking at recording my flights with a GoPro. I'm hoping for at least a two-camera setup, one behind the pilot's head, centrally located in the cockpit, looking more inside the cockpit and recording the instruments, and then one either on the pilot side or on the instructor's side facing inward, between the dash and cockpit frame, recording both pilots. I'm thinking of at least a GoPro 5 for better image stabilization but with little price difference between a Hero5, 6, and a 7, I may get a 5 and a 7. I know there are other options available but so far, the YouTube videos I've seen were almost 100% GoPros so unless there's a really strong case for a different brand, it looks like it'll be a GoPro.

My biggest issues are image stabilization and cockpit audio. The first issue should be sorted by getting a later-model GoPro and using the built-in image stabilisation feature. The secon issue I'm not too sure how to tackle.

It seems that there's two ways of doing this: 1) record audio via an audio recorder or 2) record to one of the GoPros. Does anyone have experience with one or the other? I've watched this video and at 4:52 (GoPro) and at 5:38 (recorder) and there seems to be a significant improvement in the audio with a recorder.

The video would most likely be just for personal use for now. With only two cameras and very early in my training, I probably won't make much interesting videos. I'm also not sure how the picture will turn out with the behind-the-head camera; will it able to take good footage of both the internal cockpit instruments and the externa view? Most YouTube videos I've watched needed maybe 4 cameras (instruments, forward view, looking at the pilot, side view) to be able to make an interesting video.

Lastly, for people who have done this, where did you buy your gear from in the UK? I'm looking at getting at least a prop filter as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!