PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Coastal Route / YMML Runway 34 GBAS
Old 17th Oct 2018, 02:57
andrewr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alphacentauri
From memory, a 3 degree path requires a descent from 3000ft just passed AKDEL (~0.3nm). So AKDEL is about in the position to be on profile at 3 degrees. Typical turn radius for a 90 degree turn is about 2nm at that point (note 185kt speed restriction). This means that aircraft will not be established on the final approach path (ie complete the turn) until after the profile descent point. For an RNAV approach this is OK. For a precision approach this is not.
I was really asking about the approach from the south, i.e. what altitude the aircraft you mentioned from Tasmania typically cross the VFR route.

Is there any advantage to ATC and/or airlines doing a straight in precision approach from further out rather than the turn at 2500? Just wondering whether there will be pressure to use that approach, given it is on the chart.

The AIC says "the GLS approach will become the preferred instrument approach to Runway 34. The earliest this could occur is 6 December 2018." I'm not sure whether that goes along with the idea that it will not be common.