PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2018, 22:02
Diesel Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevinlee999
Hi,

I'm Kevin from Perth and looking at starting my CPL training at Jandakot. Which flight school would you all recommend?

I've spoken to both Air Australia and Royal Aero Club. Both have been very helpful with my enquiries. Are there any others that are better than the two I have already mentioned?
Hey Kevin,

I did all my training at JT so I thought I'll give you my take based on my experience.

RACWA are a big school but overpriced. I did a TIF with them but that was all - it just didn't make sense in my mind to pay $1000's more for the same license. I have been back to do a theory course but it was overpriced and poor IMO.

Air Australia look good on the surface but you are just a number there (bit like RACWA) and will be treated as such. They are the cheapest on the strip but equipment wise their planes are pretty tired. Personally I started my abinitio training there and was pretty disappointed, ended up moving onto another school to complete my CPL, went back to AA to do my instructor rating and again it was a mistake. The big plus for these guys is their part 142 approval - GST free training and a 150 hour course. In fairness though I personally don't know anyone who has got through a CPL in exactly 150 hours and unless you can train full time you have no chance.

Havent had much to do with Minnovation - they look like a bit of a boutique outfit.

JFC is where I felt I got the best value. They are primarily a charter company with operations in JT and Darwin so don't rely on their flight school for income. This is good in that they don't try and upsell you courses and also there is a definite progression pathway into charter - most people I know of who trained there did. Planes are newer and tidy as they have in house maintenance and their 172 fleet is comparably cheap to AA. Only downside right now is that they don't have Part 142 - meaning you need to pay GST and do a 200 hour course. I would recommend talking to these guys, especially if you want/need to train part time.

Hope that helps!

Cheers