PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Survey: 2018, Instructor's terms and conditions on a changing market?
Old 16th Oct 2018, 15:12
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see what you mean! I do live close to the local flight school and was only thinking of doing this as a part-time instructor.... I've yet to see evidence of full-time instructing being anywhere near close to what I'm making in my main occupation.

Originally Posted by rarelyathome
Similarly, weather windows sometimes open for a couple of hours only. Would you be able to drop what you are doing, have time to get in, ensure the aircraft is prepped, brief and then fly the exercise if that unforecast window appears? If not, you could be losing the school money and you won't be instructing there long.
I'm sure in such an example, there would have to be students loitering in the school as well, correct? I wouldn't mind hanging around the school if there were students there and the possibility of flying and I'm sure if such a case were to happen, I would prep the aircraft anyway and also brief the student so no time is wasted when the weather does clear.... and worse case scenario is that we both go home if the weather turns sour and if it suddenly clears up in the afternoon, then the aircraft has already been prepped and we've briefed, so it'll only be a quick re-check over everything and then fly? Then again, I may have this all wrong...

Finally, just remember that not everybody can be an instructor. You need to be able to do more than just get a PPL. I would wait until you have seen how you are taking to the flying before worrying too much about life as an instructor.
This is true, and not even the best pilots can be a good instructor.