PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Navy F-35B compared with anything
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2018, 15:35
Mogwi

Received 433 Likes on 100 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MPN11
Reading all this stuff and watching the vidoes reinforces my perception that the RN was right to bin me from flying training at an early stage back in the 60s. I am 100% not wired this way, and have an inevitably grudging respect for those who are. However, becoming a sh1t-hot, can-do, Mil ATCO was a reasonable substitute ... especially when the chips were down for you guys up there.

Anyone up for a mutual respect group hug? Naah ... what pilot would hug an ATCO in public, unless it was female?

Not usually one for the man-hugs but there was a time in the late 80's that I had a SHAR engine quit at FL400 during an air-test over Cornwall. Rapid decompression followed by Christmas tree of warnings, HUD and radar out, huuuuge noise from intakes spilling air around the cockpit and much flatulence! My very high-pitched Mayday call was answered by a calm, almost nonchalant controller at London Mil "Yeovil XX, Mayday acknowledged, St Mawgan is 180/20 miles and it will relight about FL230".

"How the hell do you know that" quoth I.

"Don't worry" was the reply, "I've had loads of these!"

Sure enough, he was right and I made it home for my first date with the future Mrs Mog. That would have justified a hug!!

Mog