PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turning off power switch on computer when going to bed?
Old 15th Oct 2018, 13:50
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning off power switch on computer when going to bed?

For many years I have been in the habit of switching off the power switch to my desk top computer before going to bed at night. This is to minimise fire risk. Opinions seem to vary depending on whom you talk to.
Some say it is better for the computer to leave power on to its components as the heating and cooling cycle can cause long term damage. Although I have a smoke detector in case something happens I must say that the computer has not given me any trouble that I am aware of by switching off the power overnight. Request opinions (facts?)

I asked a similar question many years ago when I was flying the Boeing 737-200 re switching off the Bendix weather radar rather than leaving it on standby in cruise in fine weather and during turn arounds between flights. Bendix replied saying they recommended turning off the radar (rather than leave it on Standby mode) if it was not being used in fine weather or during turn arounds on the ground. . They claim it does no harm and reduces servicing costs.